Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Grandma's Home-cooked Cabbage

When you were growing up were there things that your parents or grandparents used to make that you absolutely, positively refused to eat?  Well my grandma's home-cooked cabbage was one of them... and look at me now, I'm blogging how to make it, because I love it in my "old age"!  So here's to Grandma Bien's Cabbage :)  It is a super simple dish to make and is low in calorie.

First, start by cutting up the cabbage. (I cut up about half of the cabbage head, which made a little over 2 servings.)

Then toss the cabbage in with some skim milk.  The amount of milk depends on how much "soup" you want to come with the cabbage.  You should have at least enough to cover the bottom of the pan, because you will be steaming the cabbage with milk.


Steam the cabbage on the stove over medium heat with a cover on it for 10-15 minutes (depending on how soft you want it).  Stir every minute or two.  Towards the end of that time, add salt and pepper to taste.  Be sure the milk does not boil, if it starts at all turn down the heat.


The final product looks like this!  Enjoy!

I also cooked up some sweet potato in the oven.  Normally I sprinkle my sweet potato with dill weed, but I wanted to try something different so I did half of it with dill and the other half with a little pumpkin pie spice.  The verdict: superb!  (Just be sure that you don't over do it!)

I also had a glass of my new obsession on the side :)

Have a WONDERFUL night!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

It's your turn! Tell me your comments and opinions!