Monday, April 18, 2011

N.O. Part II- Mardi Gras World

In case you missed it yesterday I began my series of posts on my trip from last week that I spent in New Orleans for a NIRSA conference.  Yesterdays feature post was on the food of New Orleans, today I will be diving into one of my favorite things that I saw there...Mardi Gras World!

One of our socials that was put on by NIRSA was the Mardi Gras social.  For this social we went to Mardi World, a place where many of the floats from Mardi Gras are stored for site seeing.  If you want to see more pictures or learn more information about this amazing place check out this website.  Along with seeing many of the floats from the 2011 Mardi Gras parade, we were able to sample many foods (ie: jambalaya, crawfish beignets, mufalettas, etc.), hold gators, get tarot card readings, and have caricatures done. Here is a pictorial tour of my night at Mardi Gras World!  PS Be sure to check out the video below, this is what I walked into Mardi Gras World to see/hear :)




Welcome Mardi Gras World!

Let the floats begin

Drew Brees

Kisses for the Saints

Reggie Bush




Float making shop

Gorilla in the making 



The party leading umbrella


Today

Last night I made a veggie salsa/dip with the following ingredients...

1/4 c Red wine vinegar, mushrooms, diced tomatoes, corn, black beans, onion, 1 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning 

Mix it all up and let set in the refrigerator for at least 3 hours so the flavors can soak in.


I didn't want to do a ton of grocery shopping this week, so I made a quick run to the co-op and picked up these four items.  The rest of my meals will be made from items in my pantry and freezer, since I tend to overlook those things so much.  

Sprouts, eggplant hummus, jalapeños, nonfat vanilla yogurt
A combination of these items and my veggie dip made up my lunch for today. 

Hummus, jalapeño, sprout and cheese sandwich 
That's it for today, check back tomorrow for the next post of my New Orleans series!




Laissez le bon temps rouler

0 comments:

Post a Comment

It's your turn! Tell me your comments and opinions!