Friday, June 17, 2011

I HATE Pine Cones!

I HATE pine cones!  When I say hate I really mean HATE!  I know a very strong word, but after twisting my ankle on one this morning during my run I have reason to HATE them :(

My morning started out like any other...

Wake up a 8 am

Pre-workout snack

The one on the left is pre-workout fuel

It says you should eat 1-4 of these blocks depending on the intensity of the workout.  I figured since I was planning on heading out for a 6.5 miler, that I would have 2 and save the other 2 for my 10K next weekend. 


Gatorade counts the 4 bite size bars as 1 serving.  1 serving has 240 calories, 9 g fat, 35 g carbs (3 fiber) and 8 g protein). As far as flavor goes (these were blueberry almond oat) I had high expectations because I like anything almond, but I give these two thumbs down for flavor.  Maybe other flavors are better?

Out the door for a 6.5 mile run with my Nike +


This is where things started to go downhill for me.  My run was not a pretty one, nor was it as long or as fast as I anticipated. I made far too many water breaks since it was so hot.  We really haven't had that many warm days up here in WI, so my body hasn't adjusted to summer running weather yet.  Anyway I really wanted to stop around mile 2 and 3 and 3.5, basically most of the time, but I told myself, "no you need this run, you need to mentally get through this no matter how long it takes you", because my mental game was really what was holding me back. So I trucked on until about mile 3.85, when I twisted my ankle on a pine cone (on the sidewalk). Who does that?! (Me apparently!)  I called it a day on that. Luckily I wasn't too far from my apartment, since I was running loops instead of my normal out-and-backs.


Despite this being terrible timing and a totally unfortunate event, I am thankful that it wasn't too bad.  I have had my fair share of sprained, twisted and tweaked ankles from playing basketball and I'm pretty sure this is a minor twist that just stretched my ligaments out a little bit.  There was no major swelling, if there's any you can't really see it.

Left one is the bum ankle

[Side note: My ankles aren't swollen, they are just really big and bony, leave them alone ;) ]


Looks like my seasoning blend will finally be put to good use!  So since I have a 10K next weekend, which I am still planning on running, I am going to be taking it pretty easy.  My game plan for the next week is to ice, ice, ice and  do limited weight bearing activities, meaning there will be a lot of biking (like) and swimming (hate).  Okay I don't hate swimming, I'm just really not good at it. 

Food for thought... As you read previously I really wanted to stop running, but I told myself no just keep going. Part of me is kicking myself for not stopping, because then this would not have happened.  But the other part of me says, it's a good thing you kept going because you need to work on your mental game (needs some serious work), and by giving up on runs all the time I am not going to do that.  I am all about listening to my body, but I don't think I've been doing enough training that my body really needed a break, I think my brain was just being a whiny baby.  I'm kind of torn on my feelings towards what I did today.  What do you think?  Do you just give up on your workouts saying you need a break or do you try to push through for mental toughness?

WEEKEND PLANS


You won't see much of me around the blogging world this weekend because I will be....



  • At an Express game!
  • Taking my dad to the Saturday Twins game for Father's Day
  • Doing something Sunday with the family for Father's Day
  • Having a second interview for a part-time job I applied for
  • And other knick knacks :)
Hope you all have a superb weekend!  What are your weekend plans?  Doing anything with your dad?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

It's your turn! Tell me your comments and opinions!