Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Surefire Stress Management Ideas

My life has been slightly stressful with more things that I need to do than I have time for.  My main stress producer? My major presentation for my summer class is on Tuesday, which I have not had time to to work on since I have been cousin sitting the past week and coaching basketball camp.  As great as both of those are, they have left me minimal time to do the readings, research and project work that I need to do.  Okay, enough bickering, what needs to get done will get done... that's just how I roll :)  So with stress in my life I thought I would share with you my top 35 stress management tips. 

My cousin and her friend 


  1. Go to bed on time.
  2. Get up on time so you can start the day unrushed.
  3. Say "no" to projects that won't fit into your time schedule, or that will compromise your mental health. 
  4. Delegate tasks to capable others.
  5. Simplify and unclutter your life.
  6. Less is more (although one is often not enough, two are often too many). 
  7. Allow extra time to do things and to get places. 
  8. Pace yourself. Spread out big changes and difficult projects over time, don't lump hard things all together. 
  9. Take one day at a time. 
  10. Separate worries from concerns. If a situation is a concern, do what you can do and let go of the anxiety. If you can't do anything about a situation, forget it!
  11. Live within your budget. 
  12. Have backups: an extra car key in your wallet, extra house key under your mat, extra stamps, etc.
  13. KMS (Keep Mouth Shut). This little piece of advice can prevent enormous amounts of trouble. 
  14. Do something for the KID in you everyday. 
  15. Carry a paperback with you to read while your waiting. (I keep one in my purse at all times!)
  16. Get enough exercise!!!!
  17. Eat right!
  18. Get organized so everything has its place. 
  19. Listen to relaxing music while driving.  (Warning; don't do when tired)
  20. Write things down.
  21. Everyday, find time to be along for "you time".
  22. Talk to a supportive friend or counselor if you are having problems.
  23. Make friends with happy, positive people. 
  24. Keep a folder of favorite cartoons or funny short stories on hand. 
  25. Remember that the shortest bridge between despair and hope is a good night's sleep. 
  26. Laugh. Laugh. Laugh.
  27. Laugh some more. 
  28. Take your work seriously, but yourself not at all. 
  29. Develop a forgiving attitude.
  30. Be kind to unkind people (they probably need it). 
  31. Sit on your ego.
  32. Talk less; listen more. 
  33. Slow down. 
  34. Remind yourself that you are not the general manager of the universe!
  35. Everything before bed, think of one thing you're grateful for that you've never been grateful for before.
How do you beat stress? Do you use any of these tips? 

Update
Those of you who read my post last Friday know that I stupidly twisted my ankle.  My speedy recovery plan seemed to have worked... or at least enough for me to feel confident about my ability to run the 10K on Saturday! Although my ankle was sore on Friday, the extensive icing and biking only workouts so far this week helped my ankle recover pretty quickly. Yay for recovery! 

2 comments:

  1. Aww, I'm sorry about your stress!! Sleep is the biggest thing that helps me. It's hard when you're stressed, but it really helps.

    Glad to hear that your ankle is feeling better!:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Erin @ UntilYouTri Sleep is sooo huge for me too... but one that I sometimes struggle with! Thanks for stopping over :)

    ReplyDelete

It's your turn! Tell me your comments and opinions!