Monday, February 27, 2012

Recipes: Shrimp Enchiladas + Chai-Almond Muffins + Swicy Rub

Nothing big happened this weekend, which is probably why I found myself in the kitchen playing a little more than I usually do!  Here's a couple of recipes I'm sure you'll enjoy...

Chai-Almond Muffins


1 3/4 c flour
1/2 c packed brown sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
2 chai blend tea bags, opened
1 c low-fat buttermilk 
1/4 c butter, melted
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract, divided
1 large egg
Cooking spray
1/3 c almonds, chopped (other nuts will work too)
1/2 c powdered sugar
1 Tbsp water


Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Combine flour, brown sugar, baking powder and soda, and salt together in a large bowl.  Combine buttermilk, 1 tsp vanilla, and egg in a bowl, stirring well with a whisk. Combine buttermilk mixture with flour until just moist.  (Tip: Leave a few lumps, over-stirring can toughen up the muffins.) Grease and flour twelve muffin cups. Divide batter evenly into the twelve cups. Sprinkle chopped nuts over batter evenly. Bake for 15 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cook for 5 minutes in the pan, then remove from pan. 

Combine remaining 1/2 tsp vanilla, powdered sugar and water, stirring until smooth. Drizzle over muffins. This can get a little messy, so be prepared :) 

Yummy!

Shrimp Enchiladas


1 med onion
2 Tbsp olive oil
1/2-3/4 lb medium shrimp, peeled
1 (4 oz) can chopped green chilies (less if sensitive to hot food)
1/2 tsp chili powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground cumin
1/4 tsp ground pepper
1 (8 oz) pkg cream cheese 
4 large tortillas
Chunky salsa (as much as you want)
Monterey Jack cheese (as much as you want)


In a large skillet, saute onion in oil until tender. 


Add shrimp, green chilies, and all four seasonings. Cook for 2-3 minutes or until shrimp turn pink. 


Stir in cream cheese until melted. 


Place shrimp mixture down the center of each of the four tortillas. 


Roll up and place seam side down in a 13 x 9 inch pan. Pour salsa and cheese over the top of wraps.  Bake uncovered, at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes or until heated through.  Enjoy the heat! 

Swicy (Sweet and Spicy) Rub


1 part brown sugar
1 part Tony Chachere's Cajun seasoning (or chili powder)
1 part salt
1 part black pepper

Massage into your meat, let sit if you have the time...BIG fan!

**********

Workouts 

Friday: Lift (upper body)

Do each group 3x

DB incline press 15x
Incline push ups (wide, normal, narrow) 5/5/5x
Plank hip dips 1:00

Seated shoulder press 10x
Lunge w/delt raise 10x
Slider dive 10x

Skull crushers 10x
EX bar curls 10x
BOSU SB toe taps 5/5x

Saturday: 11.25 miles in 1:45!! 


Brita and I ran most of the Eau Claire half marathon route, which was good for me since I've never run on most of it.  Note to those running who haven't been on it... get on the trail!  It is really hilly, you will definitely benefit by seeing it ahead of time. 


Our average pace was what my first half marathon pace was.  I'm hoping to beat my last time, but this route is considerably hillier than my previous route, so we'll see.  I've been running a lot more long runs and more mileage than I did for my previous half, so I'm hoping that will prepare me to break my PR!

Monday: 5.5 miles

Fitness Plan
Monday: Run 5.5 mile (check!)
Tuesday: Lift + 30 min cardio
Wednesday: Mile repeats w/lifts
Thursday: Light run and/or cardio
Friday: Run 60-75 mins
Saturday: Lift 
Sunday: Rest 

Last week I hit 24 miles!  That is the most I have ever run in a week!  I'm going to keep working to keep my mileage in that ballpark.  


Don't forget to sign up for my giveaway if you haven't already!  Contest ends Wednesday!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

It's your turn! Tell me your comments and opinions!