Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Winning Sports Nutrition: Calorie Needs

A while back I mentioned that I had received some home study materials for my CSCS CEUs.  After getting through most of the information from my courses, I'm ready to start sharing what I have learned!  I will have three different CSCS Series: Winning Sports Nutrition, Marathon Training and Nutrition Periodization.  Winning Sports Nutrition has the most material so that will be the longest series of the three.  I am hoping to have 1-3 posts a week on materials from these courses, so be sure to check back frequently!

Photobucket

So without further ado, welcome to the first of many CSCS Series posts!


CSCS: Winning Sports Nutrition


Calorie Needs 


I am sure you have heard that not all calories are equal before.  Well why is that?  When you look at the nutrition label on the back of your food, you will notice three (among other items) important items recorded: protein, carbohydrates and fat.  Each of these types of energy are measured in calories.  Protein and carbohydrates each contain 4 calories per gram.  Fat contains 9 calories per gram.  (And just in case you're interested alcohol contains 7 calories per gram, even though it is not an essential nutrient.)  The body uses these calories/nutrients to provide us with energy to perform everyday activities! 

The amount of calories a person needs to maintain weight depend on age, body weight, gender and total energy expenditure (TEE).  TEE includes two main parts... Resting energy expenditure (REE), which is the amount of calories needed to maintain basic body systems and temperature at rest, and activity energy expenditure (AEE), which is the amount of calories used during exercise.

Weight Maintenance: Calorie intake = TEE
Weight Gain: Calorie intake > TEE
Weight Loss: Calorie intake < TEE

So let's take a look at how to find out your calorie needs...



Using myself as an example ( I weight 165 and am 5 ft 11 in) here is what my REE would be: 


10 x 165 lbs = 1650 calories 


-OR-


655.1 + 9.65 (75 kg) + 1.84 (180.34 cm) - 4.68 (25 yr) = 1593 calories 


After you find your REE from one of the equations above, use the following to choose an activity factor (AF), be honest with yourself for the best results.



Then complete the following equation for find your total daily calorie needs...


Again, using myself as an example my total daily calorie need in order to maintain my weight would be:

1593 (REE) x 1.6 (AF) = 2,548 calories






What is your Total Calorie Need?  Is it what you expected?  


Information in this post is from Winning Sports Nutrition by DSW Fitness.  
I am not a certified nutritionist nor is this information intended to be used in place of seeing a physician.  
If you have any questions, comments or concerns please email me at myfoodevents@gmail.com



3 comments:

  1. Nοt hаving waterіng thе гoots of a tree it is futile to
    count on it to expand and gіve us luscious fruits, colourful flowers and many
    others. Sіzzling aіr bаllοon ridеs іn eхcess of
    the gorge are alѕο amazinglу pгeferred.
    The Εmanciρаtіоn of Mimі is the tenth
    stuԁio album by Americаn singer
    Μariah Сarey.

    my ωеb blog :: the pizza stone manteno il

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am nоt surе where you are gеtting yοur info, but great
    toρic. I needs tο ѕpеnd some time leaгning more or
    understanԁing more. Thаnκs
    for fantaѕtic іnfo I was looking for this informаtion fοr
    my mіssion.

    my pagе - http://dustin0bail.weddingwindow.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pretty! This was an incredibly wonderful post. Thanks for providing this information.


    My blog post; gardening tips (http://buckswagon.com/)

    ReplyDelete

It's your turn! Tell me your comments and opinions!