Sunday, November 27, 2011

How to Jazz Up Your Run

I had a little trouble motivating myself to get out the door yesterday for my run, so I told myself I would jazz it up a little.  How do you jazz up your run? Funny you should ask, because I have a little step-by-step tutorial below :-)
  1. Find a loop to run.  If you're lacking running motivation, a loop that is around one mile will probably be best. My loop was 1.33 miles.
  2. Run to the loop. If you live close enough run to where the loop starts (you sneak in extra mileage this way), otherwise drive/bike there. I ran to my loop which was .75 miles away.
  3. Pick 3-5 exercises. This is where the jazzing comes in!  Pick about 3-5 exercises that you can do without equipment.  For every loop you run you will stop and do these exercises for whatever number of reps you choose. I did 10 push ups, 20 jack crunches and 30 mountain climbers for each lap. 
  4. Decide how many laps you'll run. This isn't necessary, but it will keep you motivated if you have a minimum number you have to complete.  My minimum number was three laps, and that is how many I did, had I dressed for the windy, cold weather I may have stayed out for one more lap. 
  5. Find a spot. Once you begin running, look for a nice spot where you can stop to do your exercises. My loops were around Carson Park, so I was able to do them in an open grassy area. 
And that my friends is how you jazz up your run!  My run totaled to 5.5 miles in 55:45.  My average mile times were close to 10 minutes, but that included my time that I stopped to do my chosen exercises.  I seriously recommend trying this out if you are in a running rut, it mixes things up and changes your mentality, instead of miles of minutes it's laps (which is a smaller number).  

Fitness Plan
While at work yesterday I thought to myself, I have been lifting pretty much the same way since I started lifting in high school...full body work outs 2-4 times a week.  So, I decided once again that I needed to jazz up my routine!  My plan is to lift one body part each day of the week (6 days)...Biceps, triceps, back. legs, chest, and shoulders (I'm going to feel like an idiot if I forgot a major body part).  This is going to be totally different for me, so I hope I can stick to it even if it is just for a couple of weeks.  I may have to switch up the number of times per week I lift, because I know that will be really hard for me since some days I don't even go to a gym I just run outside.  Anyway, I am interested to see how my body responds to this new technique.  I will post later my actual lifting plans once I get them all in order.  

As for the rest of the week here's a snap shot of what I'll be doing...

Monday: Run 3 miles + Lift 20 minutes + Yoga 60 minutes --> check!
Tuesday: Bike 40 minutes + Elliptical 15 minutes + Lift 20 minutes --> check!
Wednesday: Run 4 miles + Boot Camp + Lift?
Thursday: Cardio 50 minutes + Lift 20 minutes
Friday: Run 5 miles + Lift 20 minutes
Saturday: Off
Sunday: Lift 20 minutes

Last week I was a little all over the place with my actual training compared to my planned training, but I came out with 17 miles of running.  I am not quite at my 20 miles a week like I want to be, but I am working on it.

What is your workout plan for the week?  Did you stay on track over Thanksgiving break?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

It's your turn! Tell me your comments and opinions!