Thursday, March 3, 2011

Stress Got the Best of Me

These past two weeks have been incredibly stressful! This is the one time I wish I wasn't a full time grad student and a full time graduate assistant.  But let this be a learning experience to me I suppose!

My morning started out okay with my eats and exercise.  I ran five miles and lifted weights for 25 minutes by 8:30 am this morning.  Then I proceeded to eat a French toast bagel with cream cheese for breakfast.  (These French toast bagels are AWESOME by the way!) After getting some work done and going to my first class (my stomach was growling!) I came back to the office and ate my lunch- salad and carrot slices with Tuscan Italian dressing, celery with peanut butter and a smoothie with strawberry yogurt, blueberries and coffee in it. Then back to work I go... hi-ho-hi-ho-hi-ho it's off to work I go :) Around 3pm came my downfall!  My nerves were strung and my head was crammed full with to-do lists and stuff from class and I needed a break to get a coffee.  So I took a 20 minute break and headed to Java Detour to grab a coffee, where my cravings for sweets (and food in general) began.  Now let me say I have had cravings before, and I can fight those off most of the time... but this craving felt different!  It was such an intense craving, I have never had this before... apparently stress can really throw your body for a loop.  So I gave into my stress cravings (which I allow myself to do here and there) and got a Mr. D's donut!  I gobbled that up right away and began sipping on my sugar-free raspberry latte while driving back to work.  At 4:30 I headed over to my second class of the day.  It was definitely time for dinner when I came back to the office at 6:30 pm (if you couldn't tell I  had a long day on campus/work today).  So I had packed Ramen noodles in my lunch bag because I wanted something quick and low maintenance.  Problem:  The only container I had to heat up my Ramen in was a Tupperware container (I know not a good idea, but I went for it).  The Ramen called for being heated for 5 minutes, but when the microwave read 1:30 left I called it quits because the place smelt like a plastic factory.  Into the garbage my Ramen AND container went!  So what to do for dinner now?  Of course I headed to Taco Bell because it's 88 cent crunch wrap supremes this week!  But not only did I get a crunch wrap supreme, I got a volcano taco as well... delicious but clearly not nutritional or low calorie (good thing I got a good workout in today!).  With my mouth on fire from my volcano taco, I had to have something sweet when I got back to the office, so I grabbed a chocolate bar in the vending machine. Ugh, finally the end of my stress eating binge!  Rough!  Surprisingly though, I didn't feel like complete crap... which normally I would if I ate all that junk.

I finished off my night with a intramural basketball game and now I am on a 12 hour fast until 10 am tomorrow because I have to give a blood sample in my lab so I can find out lots of cool information (ie: cholesterol levels, blood glucose levels, etc).

Even though stress got the best of me today, I recognize and acknowledge that I am human and a downfall every now and again is not the end of the world unless I make it to be... so I'm not making it to be!  Tomorrow I'm back in the saddle :)

Good night!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

It's your turn! Tell me your comments and opinions!